Monday, May 4, 2015

Jon Glover


Do you ever wish you were in the deserts of Utah and riding right into a sunset of rays, haloing over the mountain tops directly ahead of you? Jon Glover can bring you there every time with just one of his photos. He has this great eye when it comes to capturing those special moments when riding. It's as if you were right there, living in that exact moment of time right along side the one riding in his photos. Let's not forget to mention his superior skills when it comes to still life. He makes bikes pop and cars look stunning without any movement at all. It's a rare science that Jon does flawlessly. With crisp color choices, amazing compositions, and an overall beautiful eye for capturing the souls of motorcycles and cars, I am super excited to say Jon is coming out all the way out from Salt Lake City, Utah to represent his photography at Fuel Cleveland on May 9th. Be sure to go say hi to him and check out his brilliant work at the show. Here is a little one on one we had the other day, enjoy

-Mikey Revolt

Jon Glover, where do you rest your head at night?

J: I'm from Salt Lake City, UT born and raised.

When did a camera first find you? Is photography your first art form or have there been other mediums you have mastered?

J: I've been into taking pictures as long as I can remember. My first camera was a little 110 film cartridge type that I took everywhere with me. I was probably 6 or 7 when I starting documenting sunsets from the roof of our house and the occasional skateboard and smoke bomb launch ramp session.

When did motorcycles come into your life, is there any history there?

J: My dad had a 2 stroke yamaha 400 that he'd take me for rides on around the neighborhood when I was just a little kid and I instantly loved it, the power, speed and danger. I was hooked. A year or so later he brought home a matching yellow yamaha 50cc dirt bike and I terrorized the neighborhood sidewalks until I whiskey throttled it one day after hitting a bump and clotheslined myself on a tree cable. I was scared of it for about 2 weeks but luckily I got over it and began wearing trails into the lawn again. We always had dirt bikes around but I didn't get my first street bike until I was in my early 20's. Since then I've bought, sold and traded all kinds of different bikes.


When did you decide to mix the two, photography and motorcycles?

J: To be honest I don't shoot as much when I'm out riding as most of the other artists in the show. With so much going on and being so busy riding really is my therapy and I like to just enjoy it without worrying about any distractions. I normally take my phone or a GoPro but that's about it. I don't document my trips and adventures nearly as well as I should. I'm better at documenting other peoples bikes and their riding than my own.

Name some things on your bucket list, or goals you want to achieve?

J: Like most people I have a lot of rides that I'd like to do like Alaska, the 4 corners of the continental US, the Continental Divide from Mexico to Canada. I'd like to ride the coast in Austrailia. I've spent a lot of energy trying to check off my bucket list goals over the last 2 years so I'm working on making new ones. I don't want to wait until I'm too old to enjoy it and you really never know what will happen in life. I don't want to die with any regrets so I just try and make those things a priority. The only one I didn't get to do last year was visit the Mooneyes Yokohoma show in Japan, so that one is still haunting me but maybe I can go this year or next.


I really loved your idea of “Get Lost” when and why did the idea come about?

J: This started for me out of a need to get away from my crazy life, I was working pretty much 7 days a week between my 2-3 jobs and seemed like every time my phone rang it was somebody who wanted something else from me. It gets to a point where you just feel like you are drowing and there's no end in sight. My time was becoming a precious commodity and the only way to find balance was to literally Get Lost. The Get Lost was 2 fold, me getting away to find some peace and quiet and at the same time telling everyone else to Get Lost until I'm back. Riding is the therapy that keeps me level. I can turn off the phone and just ride until I'm in the middle of nowhere with no emails, phone calls or distractions.

After 10 years at my last job I was eligible for a 4 week paid sabbatical where I had to take a full month off with no contact with work. I starting planning my Get Lost 2013 trip and spent about 7500 miles traveling around the Mountain West just taking my time, sometimes with friends and a lot of it solo. It was a life changing month that has just left an unquenchable thirst for the open road ever since. Last year we traveled from Utah up through Oregon and down the Cali coast on Hwy 1. It's just a great motto that helps me take time to get out and enjoy life and slow down for a minute and be reminded about the good things out there.

Speaking of getting lost, if you could jump on a bike right now and just go, where would you go and why?

J: If the weather was warmer I'd head for Montana in a heartbeat. Big Sky country is no joke and the landscape is incredible. You can ride for long stretches and never see another person on the road.

What do you love and or hate about traveling?

J: I love everything about it, even the 'bad' stuff is all just part of the whole experience. Going through the rain and hail just makes you appreciate the warm sun that much more. You just have to take things as the come and so much is out of your control that if you don't enjoy it all you won't last very long. Some of the best moments on my trips have been when things sucked the worst like running out of gas 40 miles from the nearest Oregon town and building a fire in the hills to stay warm, shooting guns and watching the sunset while my good friends Ty and Kurt made the 80 mile roundtrip to bring us fuel. Or riding through the worst rain storm of my life at 90 mph shoulder to shoulder with Davieguns through Idaho and just as the bikes starting getting flooded out, sucking water and thinking we were done for we crest the next hill and the sun breaks through, the rain stops instantly and all is right again in the world. Those are the things you never forget. Traveling is about having stories to tell. If everything was perfect you wouldn't have a good story.

What is your camera preference, Canon, Nikon, or something completely different? Any go to lens you prefer over the rest?

J: I'm a Canon guy. I traded a car for my first DSLR body and that pretty much started my Canon relationship. Once you start building out your kit you are pretty committed to one brand or the other. My favorite film camera though is an old Minolta twin lens medium format camera that my Grandpa gave me. Nothing fancy but I love it's mechanics and its history.

What is your all time dream machine or do you already own it?

J: I have many dream machines. I think there are different tools for different jobs and I like a lot of different styles so that's a tough question. Right now my favorite is still my Dyna Tsport for what it has allowed me to do and all the places we've traveled. I have a '64 Triumph custom that is close to being finished that fills my vintage dreams but I also wouldn't mind a Ducati Hypermotard, a Shovelhead chopper, and maybe a KTM for the dirt.


I noticed you lighting game is getting to be pretty top notch on your car and motorcycle portraits. What are some of the biggest challenges when it comes to lighting for you?

J: I've always liked dark and moody lighting which kind of defines much of my style. It takes me a lot more time to shoot with the lights but I like the results. I've never been super technical with calculations, zones and meter readings which is bad on my part but I just feel it out and adjust as needed. It's been a lot of trial and error usually on the spot with clients shoots so it's make it or break it time. I work better under pressure and like the challenges that can happen in the moment.

What is one of the craziest moments or stories from your travels over the years?

J: I mentioned a few earlier but the really good ones I'm not at liberty to share under sworn oath to those involved.

Do you have any big projects in the works you can talk about or want to share?

J: Nothing big right now just taking things as the come. Fuel Cleveland is a huge deal to me so that's at the top of my list right now.

Anything ever chaotic or crazy happen on a photo shoot or while riding and shooting?

J: Dude come on, I'm a professional. Everything always goes perfectly according to plan without a hitch! haha



What has been your all-time favorite photo shoot and why?

J: My favorite is the next shoot. I love the challenges and problem solving being on the spot so I'm always looking forward to the next one. I like to think about and plan what I want to do then throw it all out the window when it goes to shit and have to come up with something totally different given the circumstances.

Any life mottos or codes you live by?

J: Don't put off your dreams. Do it now because you never know what might happen tomorrow.

Who and/or what motivates and inspires you?

J: That's a pretty long list of people. The biggest thing that motivates me is watching people that go after their dreams and push their talents to the next level. I'm inspired by those that dream and do, not just talk about it.

Is there anything else you are really passionate about other than motorcycles and photography? I notice you take a lot of shots of nice cars too, so you can’t say cars either!!! Ahha

J: Cars! I have been into vintage cars for a long time, mostly period customs but after working on my unfinished '50 Ford Shoebox for the last 10 years and how much work it is, I just go ride my motorcycles now and forget about it. I've enjoyed life a lot more on my bike rather than stuck in the garage all summer working on cars.


What was 13 year old Jon like?

J: Let's not talk about that kid. I did a lot of skiing, listened to classic rock, wore a lot of polo shirts and didn't talk to anyone, especially girls.

Are you a Franks Red hot or Sriracha kind of guy? Ahaha

J: Cholula all the way, but I'd go with Franks over Tabasco. I only use Siracha on mac & cheese.

Anyone you want to give a shout out to or thank?

I have to thank Tyler, Kyle and Greg at Lowbrow Customs for giving me so many awesome opportunities that I didn't deserve. It's a huge honor to be included in this show and the level of talent is overwhelming. Thanks Mikey for all the work putting this all together and including me.


Check out www.gloverphoto.blogspot.com for more photos by Jon and be sure to see his photos in person at Fuel Cleveland on May 9th.




No comments:

Post a Comment