Friday, April 22, 2016

Austin Andrella




Smiles only go so far in this world unless you are named Austin Andrella of Austin Martin Originals. Austin is hands down one of the nicest dudes ever and his outlook and fabrication talents when it comes to motorcycles are some of the best in the Midwest. Winning countless awards for his stunning machines built right in his backyard garage Austin has been taking over the motorcycle world one bike at a time for over a decade. With a full-time gig and 4 ladies in the house, some how he still keeps his cool and pumps out some of the coolest choppers around. Being close to Cleveland, it's been really awesome to keep up with Austin and always see what he's got in the works. It was a no-brainer to ask Austin to showcase one of his builds at Fuel Cleveland this year on May 28th! We sat down and I asked him a handful of questions the other day, this is what came of it, enjoy!


-Mikey Revolt

Photo by: Mike Mcfadden

Where do you call home?

A: I was born in Akron, Ohio in 1980 and have lived about 20 minutes South of Akron in the Portage Lakes area ever since.

Photo by: James Broadfoot

Tell us about yourself and your shop? 

A: I'm a father of three lovely ladies, I've been married to my baby's momma for a decade now. I'm also a full-time Union sprinkler fitter, which I've done for over 15 years. I decided to rebuild my garage about four years ago after a tragic fire in which I lost 90% of my stuff. So I started from scratch and my shop rose from the ashes like the Phoenix! This is the time I started to teach myself how to tig weld and really got my creative juices flowing. I started shaping handlebars with my old school bender. Then I moved very fast into chassis design and fab and everything that came along with it. My next big purchase was an old 1951 south bend lathe. Which I make the majority of slugs, spacers, accent parts. I am self taught in every aspect of building and fabrication. In which I feel Is a good thing because I am a great problem solver and I feel when you are book taught in a classroom you only know one general way of accomplishing something and with being self-taught you figure out numerous ways of accomplishing something through research and trial and error.


What is a day in your life like for you?

A: Seems everyday is exactly the same get up around 6 o'clock get out the door get to work around 7 a.m. " I tend to zone out for about an hour. Then I get started on my TPS reports." (office space) But seriously I work 8 to 10 hrs a day then I make a B-line for the house I get home around 4:30 and am able to really do what I love fabricating and creating. I work til between 10 p.m. and 2 a.m. every night by myself in my shop depending how deep into that part of the project I'm on or if I'm just staring at it blurring my eyes trying to envision how I want the bike to look.



How long have you been building and fabricating motorcycles?

A: I've been building bikes for over 12 years. I started Austin Martin Originals 4 years ago and have been fabricating as much as I can possible with what I have available in my shop.

What or who got you into motorcycles?

A: It started along time ago when my father used to let my brother and I act like we were racing around on his Yamaha XS750. I don't actually remember this picture but it put the love and excitement of motorcycle's deeply rooted in my soul which laid dormant till I was about 23 when I bought my first custom rolling chassis and the rest is history.

Who or what inspires you and your style of building?

A: I feel I have my own style all around. That being said my style has been shaped and molded over the past decade of watching the different Builders interpretations on what a motorcycle should look like. I'm inspired by a lot of badass Japanese builders, one being Ask Motorcycles and another being 2 loud custom shop. I also pull inspiration from guys like Christian Sosa from Sosa Metal Works, Rick Bray from RKB Kustom Speed, LC Fab Jeremy Cupp these guys are pretty much the best of the best just to name a few. Which I am lucky enough to call my friends.
Photo by: David "Englishman" Gregory
What do you find to be the most challenging for you when it comes to building a motorcycle?

A: For me it's not time, nor talent, creativity nor ingenuity - it all boils down to the almighty dollar. Funding builds is honestly the hardest part for me. Scheduling Fab, paint, coating, and chrome is a bit much but also because it's out of your hands.




Favorite machine you have ever built?

A: I would have to say the 1969 Triumph Bonneville T-120R I built for my buddy Justin Tokos. This is my first run at a British bike and I love it Besides the Whitworth bolts! She starts on the first kick and doesn't disappoint with her ride ability and classy looks.



What would be your ultimate dream build for you? 

A: I would have to say something pre 20's for the historical part and the rarity of it. I like preserving and restoring old bikes. I'm working my way down to that era. I have built a 1969 being the oldest but I just picked up an 1958 Pre-Unit BSA a couple weeks ago so I'm getting closer and closer.



You have won tons of awards over the years. Tell us about your favorite Victory?

A: I would have to say winning the custom class at the outdoor Artistry in Iron Show in Las Vegas, it was huge! But the one that means the most has to be last year's IMS victory in Cleveland in the Retro mod class because I was able to take my 3 daughters up on stage with me to accept the award and get pictures taken that is something that I will never forget and hopefully they don't either.



What's one event you look forward to more than anything all year?

A: Las Vegas Bike fest is a really good time well because it's Vegas. But I have to say the Lowbrow Getdown is one of my favorites because it's local for me and I get to hang out and camp with all my biker buddies and the boys from Lowbrow Customs put it on so it's always a hell of a time.

Where is somewhere you have never been before and have to go before you die?

A: I would have to say Venice, Italy. My father's side of the family is from Italy and I would like to see all the beautiful artwork, scenery and architecture throughout the country.


Any life mottos or codes you live by?

A: -"USE, RE-USE, RE-CYCLE"
-"If it's worth doing, it's worth over doing!"
-"Less is more."

How do you keep sane with all the little ladies in the house?

A: I spend a lot of time in the garage, and I mean a lot of time. I also self-medicate with an natural herbal remedy passed down through the generations dating back to the days of the American Indians with their peace pipe. (If you know what I'm shayin') "I did not exhale"

What's your favorite go to ice cream?

A: 1. Cookies n' Cream 2. Mint Chocolate Chip

Is there anyone you want to give a shout out to or thank?

A: I'd like to think Tyler, Kyle and Mikey at Lowbrow Customs for the opportunity of being part of the Second Fuel Cleveland Show. It means a lot to be chosen, especially it being a local show. I would also like to thank my wife, Autumn, for always being supportive. And I better mention my boss Kenny always allowing me to take time off to do something I love, thanks brother.

Where can people follow you and your work?

A: Web- www.austinmartinoriginals.com
IG- austinmartinoriginals
FB- Austin Andrella and Austin Martin Originals LLC
Email - austinandrella@yahoo.com




Here's a few more photos of some of Austin's machines.


Photo by: David "Englishman" Gregory

Photo by: David "Englishman" Gregory

Photo by: David "Englishman" Gregory



Photo by: Nancy Gregory



2 comments: